Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Writer War Post for the Week of August 21- August 28th

Hey everyone! Now for this week's writer wars post! Get excited. In the title I will start putting the week when the post is put up to make it a little easier to determine the current writer war post. You can still respond to the post outside of the week time-frame so don't panic. :) Now without further ado this week's prompt!

Write a short story (400 words or less) about a character who receives a mysterious package in the mail. 
Some things to think about when writing:
Does the character open it or are they afraid of it?
Does the package have any markings that make it mysterious?
What's inside?
Was it expected or unexpected?
Good Luck! 

6 comments:

  1. It was like any other Sunday for Gregg Higgins, he proceeds his day like perusal. He wakes up early, as he does in the morning for work.. It was September 22nd, Gregg dreaded the day. It was his mother's birthday. He loved his mother dearly but she keeps him on the phone for hours.. He opened the door, a small package labeled "To my love." Brrrring! Brrring! The phone rang, "uh... Hello?" Gregg answered. There was a long pause with even quiet breaths. "Greggy, it's me, Bev." She said with a sobbed. "Hi! What's the ma..." Gregg said but got cut off by Bev. "It's mom. She had an unexpected heart attack this morning." Bev said in between heavy breaths."Oh, will she be okay?" Gregg asked. That question was the start of the take off of a rocket or fireworks. Bev was crying harder, and her breathes were quicker."Gregg, mom died, I just got off the phone with the hospital and the community office of her neighborhood. They want the both of us to fly down to have her funeral and to sign off on any paperwork." Bev sobbed."That can't be! Mom was ba... she is only sixty years old." Gregg said panicking. "I know." Bev whispered. Gregg grew silent as he looked at the package, he just received. "Gregg?" Bev interrupted his thoughts. "Yeah?" Gregg answered."Maybe, we could live closer to each other. So, you know, just in case, someth..." Bev said as the tears streamed down her face."Yeah, I'd love that! Bevie, did you receive a package labeled "To my love." Gregg replied."That's wonderful! I saw a couple of houses that in the middle of our jobs. No, I did not receive a package." Bev answered intrigued in this mysterious package."Perfect! We'll look at them when we meet. Who sent me this stupid package?" Gregg's voice rose as he answered."When can you take work off? This week or next?" Bev asked. "Most likely this week. I have to talk to my boss." Gregg said but knowing he would without a doubt in the world he could. "Great! I got to go. I'll call you tonight to confirm the arrangements. I love you!" Bev sounded happier."I love you too." Gregg said but Bev hung up too quickly. Gregg picked the package up and looked at it. He couldn't help but say aloud "Who the heck sent this to me?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were the first to post! Nice Job!! We are all slacking... I actually have an idea, for this one and for the previous - story from the past. I have to get on it! :)

      Delete
  2. BTW - what's in the package??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most likely it was something that was on the will... I forgot what

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok - I'm Posting a story and it's way more than 400 words! But here it goes - a story of package in two parts..

    Alex was walking home with her little sister Sarah. Sarah was not a pain, because sisters are never pains, but Sarah was being exceedingly trying today, and as they started up their driveway, Alex was feeling fairly sick of her. "Sarah, go get the mail." Alex said, not even turning to look at her. "It's not fair! Why do I have to get the mail? I had to get it yesterday. You could get the mail more often, you know, it would be more fair." Sarah complained, but she walked over to the mailbox and Alex ignored her.

    "Oh! What's this! There's a package in the mail! Did Mom and Dad order something?" Alex ignored her. "Ohhhh! It says to Alex!!" That got Alex's attention. "Give it here!" Sarah danced away holding the package behind her back. "Why?? Do you have a boyfriend?" Alex glowered at her little sister. Her eyes narrowed. Sarah, sensing danger, brought the package back around. "I don't think it's really for you, it says Alex Brennen." Alex held out her hand and Sarah gave her the crushed white post office envelope. "Well, the address is right. Brennen, Brewer, maybe someone just mistyped."

    They walked up to the house and Alex unlocked the door, letting them both in. She dropped her backpack and opened the envelope. Inside was a small, square, blue box with a stylized red B on the cover. Sarah was watching closely, "What is it? A Necklace? A Christmas ornament? What store starts with B... Belk?" "Shut up," said Alex in a kind, sisterly fashion. The cover was held on by a piece of scotch tape, so she broke the tape and opened the box.

    Inside was a 2x2 picture of her school. On the bottom right corner the following was printed:
    10/3 6:30pm Don't be late.

    Alex was starting to feel unsure. This didn't seem right.. But her sister picked that moment to chime in, "It IS a boy!" Alex shook off her feeling, Sarah was probably right. "I doubt it," she said, and stocked up to her room and closed the door. Should she go? She decided to call her best friend.

    "Hannah"

    "Yeah, what's up?"

    "I got a package in the mail today - someone wants to meet me at the school at 6:30 tonight, but it's totally weird and it's just a picture of the school and it doesn't say who it's from, I even checked the envelope again."

    "Do you think it's Mason? I told you, I think he likes you and he is kind of shy."

    "I don't know - but it's really weird. Do you want to go with me?"

    "Yeah! We can go early and hide in the woods next to the enterance - then we can see who it is, 'cuz frankly, being so mysterious is kind of uncool."

    "Hannah, you're the best. Can I say I'm going over there for dinner and to study?"

    "Of, course! Mom isn't home until 7 tonight. So, tell your folks you'll be back around 8"

    "Ok, see ya soon!"

    "Bye!"

    Alex wrote a note and went downstairs to stick it on the fridge. "SARAH!" Alex yelled up the stairs.

    "WHAT?"

    "COME OUT FOR A SECOND!" Sarah begrungingly exited her room.

    "What?"

    "I'm going to Hanna's to study, and I'm going to eat dinner there. I left a note on the fridge."

    "You're going to see that BOY then?"

    "NO! I TOLD you what I'm doing and that's what you better tell mom and dad or I'll - I'll tell them about last week when you were 'sick'"

    "Whatever." Sarah rolled her eyes, and Alex headed out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ---

    At 6:00 that night Hannah and Alex where hiding in bushes next to the school, and Sarah was sitting down with her parents for dinner. Fish and asparagus. Gross. Her mom, Michelle, insisted on calling it baked haddock and blanched asparagus with a lemon wine sauce, but fancy names could not disguise the gross. Her dad, Peter, insisted it was just fine. "It's not fair!" This was Sarah's favorite phrase lately. Dad kept telling everyone "It's just a phase." He clearly was missing the point. "Sarah, that's enough. Your mother and I made the dinner and you're going to eat it. And you're not going to complain." Peter gave her a stern look. "Right." She grumbled, and pushed the fish around her plate. "Alex gets to do whatever she wants. She gets to go meet boys and I have to eat Fish." It wasn't fair, she thought to herself. Mom and Dad had stopped eating - and she realized what she had said.

    "What did you say?" Mom asked.
    "Umm..Nothing" Sarah focused on her dinner.
    "Where is Alex?" Sarah could feel her parents eyes on her. She tried her hardest to just focus on the pale fish and green aspearagras on her plate - but she knew it was just a matter of time, the Cat was Out of the Bag, as they say.

    She made a mess of the story - mostly because when she explained the envelope was addressed to Alex Brennen, her dad seemed to go pale. He insisted she show him everything. Sarah actually started getting worried.. her mom seemed confused and her dad, he was acting weird.

    Sarah led them up to Alex's room, and her dad, when he saw the blue box swallowed hard. "Red Sox" he whispered, "they're from Boston."

    "Peter, what is it? Who are they? Who's from Boston?" Sarah felt like she was in a bad dream, her mom was shaking her dad and her dad was in some kind of shock.

    "I am," he whispered staring at a point on the wall. Sarah waved her hand, her dad did not seem to be seeing anything. "You're not, " She said, "you're from Bartlesville," She reminded him.

    "I'm not, I'm from Boston, " he shook himself out of the daze " and I'm not Peter, " He looked at his wife, "I'm Alex - or I was - Alex Brennen, but that was so long ago and somehow they found me." Sarah was confused, and now her mom was pale and her dad was pushing his way out of the room.

    "I need my phone. I need to talk to Agent Pamela Rodriguez. We need to get Alex back. Now."

    ...

    ReplyDelete