Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Another Writer Wars Post

Great job with last week's responses everyone! I thought they were all very creative and interesting takes on the prompt. Since it is a writer WAR there will be points awarded for each time you post a response to the prompt. One point will be awarded per story response, and at the end of the year the points will be tallied up and the person or persons with the most points will claim the award of Writer Wars Victor! This entails bragging rights and an internet trophy! As you can see the stakes are high so POST! Here are the current points:
Sam: 1
Rachel: 1
Jeff: 1
Bre: 1
Joe: 1

As you can see there is currently a 5 way tie so it is still anybody's game! If you haven't posted yet you still have a chance, get posting!

Here is this week's prompt:

Write a short story (400 words or less) about a character who is trapped on an island with his/her worst enemy.

Good Luck!

5 comments:

  1. Mr. Lutz! Are you serious? I have to go on island watch with LUCY?!
    Yes, Sophie it is not that big of a deal you are only going to be with her for a week for the island watch. The island watch is very important and requires eager participation from ALL members of society not just the ones who get to go on island watch with their friends.
    I know island watch is important because we need to make sure the creature stays dormant and happy but do I really have to go with Lucy?
    You are going with Lucy, I don’t have enough time to rework the schedule.
    But...
    Enough! One more word about this and I will personally see to it that you and Lucy are paired for every island watch!
    Fine, I will make it work.
    Sophie arrived at the boat the next morning to find Lucy sitting on the beach glaring at her.
    Lucy.
    Sophie.
    With terse greetings out of the way they set off in the boat with the boat captain.
    After an hour of tense silence only broken by occasional light comments from the boat captain the boat landed on shore of the island and the previous people on island watch were on the beach waiting. After a short period of greetings and chatter the two enemies were left alone standing on the beach.

    They both walked in silence to check the meters at the top of the mountain. When they finally arrived they both began to record the temperature, vibration and level of the sedation liquid. Sophie turned from writing down the readings on the notebook to mark them on the whiteboard and knocked into Lucy who was carrying a bucket of dirty mop water.
    Sophie! What is wrong with you? Don’t you even know how to look where you are going?
    Well at least I was where I was supposed to be! You are supposed to take the water out the other door!
    What? Since when?
    Since always!
    No!
    Yes!
    Their argument was interrupted by a screech from the control panel and a low rumble from the island.
    The control panel indicated that the sedation levels were dropping drastically and all attempts to placate the spitting machine were rewarded with another bigger rumble from the mountain knocking them both to the ground.
    It’s waking up.
    Ya, and we’re lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Larry returned back to camp, he saw CJ just standing there doing nothing. It was bad enough that CJ was on the same cruise as Larry, but they had both managed to make it on the same island when the ship had sank. It was just the two of them on the island. Larry did not know if others had survived.

    Larry had known CJ since he was twelve. CJ was always taunting Larry and making fun of him. No matter how hard Larry had tried to escape CJ, he managed to always find him.

    It had been several days since the ship wreck. Larry was able to find some things that washed ashore. The island was not very big, but it did provide food to eat. Larry spent the days collecting food and trying to find things that might have washed ashore. Larry had found a lighter in a suitcase that he found and used to to start a fire.

    When Larry made it back to the camp after collecting food, there was CJ just standing there doing nothing. After days of CJ doing nothing to help them survive, Larry had finally had enough. He picked up a large rock and threw it at CJ. As the rock hit CJ, the mirror broke into several pieces. At least Larry did not have to put up with CJ for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 29 - I'm hiding. I'm hiding from him. I saw a navy ship. Help is coming. They must find me. They must be good. They must pass the demon. He haunts me. I hear him at night, whispering. I cannot move. Justice must find me soon.

    25 - I saw him today, a shadow. I chased him through the forest, he disappeared. He can disappear. A demon. My own personal demon. I couldn't keep up. My leg is swollen. It hurts. I can't focus. I have to survive. My boss must be listening. She must. She will find me. They will suffer and die for what they've done. They are evil men. They'll suffer. No. I want justice.

    22 - I moved the transmitter to the top of the mountain. The east is passable, but my leg is bad. Someone large is on the island. I hear him. I told him to come out. He is nothing but a coward, a McKinney. I'm sure he wants the evidence. Wants it burned or buried. He will not get it.

    13 - I found a cave, the entrance is hidden, my new home. I have also fixed my transmitter. Work should be monitoring the secure frequency. They should find me soon. I am feeling better since my fall, nothings broken. My leg was cut pretty badly. It still hurts. The west is definitely not the way around the island.

    5 - My ship is not salvageable. They shot it up pretty badly when I was running from the McKinney. The storm hid me, but finished my ship. Yesterday McKinney wreckage washed up on shore. I hope they're at the bottom of the ocean. Still, I am wary.

    2 - If you find this, hopefully you're from a landed nation. The Seasteaders of Floating Island 18 are not running a democracy. They are a gang. They're using their good standing with the landed nations to gather supplies, both legal and black-market. They sell them to the Banished Islands. My father, a seasteader, stumbled on evidence, which he reported to me. They murdered both him and my mother; the details were recorded. This packet has a copy of my father's evidence and the recording of my parent's murders. Take down the McKinney's of Floating Island 18. If I fail, I'm trusting in fate, I'm trusting in you - to get justice for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A contribution from Abel (Our first OK contribution!):

    I have been stranded on this island for 2 days. Don’t ask me how it happen because I don't know. Let me start at the beginning of my misadventure. I know no one will ever read this because I have nothing to write with and nothing to write on. But if I did this is what I would say.

    I went to bed around ten o’clock that night and awoke the next morning on this stupid f—kg island. How did I get here? How the hell am I supposed to know . I told you already. I went to sleep and here I am. I’m sorry I shouldn’t talk that way but it’s hot, I’m hot – tired – hungry. Anyway, I woke and I was lying in a boat that was setting on a beach, I was still wearing my glasses. Well that was a plus. Just then a gust of wind came and blew my hat into the sea. Oh, by the way did I tell you I can’t swim. Goodbye hat. Hello heat.

    Well it wasn’t hot yet and my shoes were full of sand so I took them off. I went back to the boat and placed my shoes and socks inside. Inside the boat was food, water, canvas and other things. I would inventory later. I grabbed a bottle and a can of peaches. "How am I going to open these?", I thought. I found a fairly flat rock and set the can of peaches on it. I found another large rock and raised it high above my head. I brought it down hard. It glanced off the can and hit my left inside ankle. It hurt like hell. It started to bleed. I felt woozy. Dragging my left leg, I waded into the sea. I said I couldn’t swim but I can wade like hell.

    It was turning dark so I grabbed a blanket, some water and took my aching self to a nearby tree and went to sleep. I awoke the next day and saw that the boat and everything in it were gone. STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! I didn’t pull the boat further up the beach and the tide came in and washed it out to sea. I saw it bobbing up and down a ways off. I guess I could swim out and bring it back. Yeah! Right.

    I have only been on the island two days and have next to nothing to survive on. By the way I stepped on my glasses and now they’re broken. And to top it all off I am stuck with my own worst enemy and it’s MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Just call me STUPID!

    THE F- - K – G END

    ReplyDelete