WELCOME TO THE SUPER AWESOME WRITING BLOG!
I was recently inspired by something that the people on Sparklife do every week called Writer Wars. I thought that it was a cool idea and it would be really cool if I started a weekly writing blog for everyone. What is a writing blog you may ask? Well once a week (or every other week depending on what seems to work for everyone) I will post a story prompt and everyone who wants to will write a response to the prompt in 400 words or less (unless part of the prompt states a different word limit) in the comments section of that post. You can respond to the prompts at any time even if the week is over but it would be cool if a couple people answered the prompts within the week to provide inspiration to others.
Remember these 400 word stories are just for fun, they are not expected to be masterpieces (but when they are that is really cool). They can be silly, fun, used to experiment with a writing style or used to experiment with a voice you haven't used before. Now that everyone knows how it works are you ready to get started?
...
...
...
Well I hope so because here we go with this week's prompt.
Write a short story (400 words max) about a bank robbery. Note: The story can be from any perspective you want; that of a thief, a witness, a cop, a victim, etc.
Note: If you have trouble with the comments email your story to me and I will post it for you. I can also provide step-by-step instructions for how to use the comments if that would be helpful. :)
Another Note: For the first few weeks the posts might pop up on different days but they will probably be regularly posted on the weekends. I will let people know when the post days change.
Here is my story:
ReplyDeleteWhy are people so obsessed with robbing me? Did I do anything to these people? No. I just sit here looking AWESOME with my polished floor and lovely high ceilings, housing valuable human possessions and some of their money.
Humans.
I. Hate. Them.
You know it isn’t really a hatred of all humans, I like the guy who polishes my floors and the lady that repaints me every few years is pretty great, but I am not a fan of “mister-I-like ski-masks-and-treading-dirt-on-these-niceclean-floors-while-throwing-g uns-and-little-notes-around.
Great now he is talking, why do they always talk? Do you think I want to listen to this speech again? “Get on the ground this is a bank robbery” is overused and frankly I am sick of it. If you are going to rob me at least do it with some pizazz or use a line I haven’t heard a million times before. And besides who said I want people to rub their whole bodies all over me? Gross.
Oh joy, I see he has brought some friends to the bank robbery. Nice. More people to ruin my floors. Wait what?!?! What does that one think he is doing with that stick of explosives? He better not be planning on using it on MY vault. Oh no. That is not going to happen. Let me see, lasers to stun or kill? Wait, I don’t have lasers. Drat. I guess emergency foam fire retardant system it is! Then I really need to write a note to remind myself to install lasers, because I feel like they would come in handy.
“AHHH!” Ah, the lovely screams of bank robbers in the morning. That is what we like to call a nice combo of fire safety and criminal repellent folks.
“What the...!” Oh and look they just discovered the joy of dye packs. I like them better in blue, even if it will mark up my floors for the next week.
Now the hostages are screaming. I know guys this is traumatic for you but how do you think I like your screeches being reverberated throughout me? Besides you are not the only ones being traumatized, have you seen the floors?
Now for the sirens coming. Great that means many police officers with filthy shoes will soon tromp through my lobby without any concern for me. I guess that is the life of a bank. Now about those lasers...
By: Sam Reilly
It was a still night, just before dawn when three gray clad figures stealthily approached their target. Mic had discovered the security hole, a rotted sill around a basement window. The bars protecting the window were just barely held in place, it would take almost no force to tear them from the wall. Jerry was first to squeeze through the window followed by Mic and finally Dix. They were close now, so close that they could smell it.
ReplyDeleteNow they had to get past the security system. Dix was the security man, he knew that touching the floor would get them all caught. Dix had decided that they would use the lip of the basement to make their way to the other side. It was the long way around and they would have to do it silently but they were prepared, they could do it. Slowly they made their way around the basement creeping forward one inch at a time. It felt like forever but they finally made it. Just one more obstacle, just one more.
It was Jerry's job to get past the door. It was massive with a lock far beyond Jerry's abilities but the vault was not part of the original building and while the door was impenetrable where the walls met the ceiling was not. The masonry was old and with a little careful work they could get in. The thee worked quickly and quietly pulling out loose masonry until they had a whole just big enough to squeeze through. Then they were in! They grabbed what they could carry and made there way back out of the building.
Just as they were leaving lights came on in the basement, two men walked across the room and opened the door.
“Dammit Tom, it looks like mice have been into the cheese again! That stupid cat you got is useless.”
When people think of theives, robbers, well any kind of stealing related actions, they usually think we are bad guys. As in the joker in the batman world. How can people assume we are bad people when they don't know us.... they don't know the reasoning behind the cause of stealing. I'm not staying that the thieves and robbers are going to volunteerially offer that information willingly, but yet who would?
ReplyDeleteThe name is Heather, and sometimes mommy, depending who you are. I bet you heard all about me, everything that you believe is true because you read it in the newspaper or heard on the television. That is nice.... I have my reasoning to break in that house and steal then contemplated on going in the bank. I bet, you are not interested in hearing it though. I am seventeen years old, a single mother of two children- Annie and Nick. I have school and a part time job, but I have bills... a skyscraper of bills. Why do I have so many bills? That's a funny story, both of my lovely parents died on a plane that got caught on fire, When I was eight years old. My grandparents took my in, they felt sorry for themselves and not me. They died naturally in bed on a summer's night when I was twelve. I guess, you know how I got Annie and Nick. Yes, I was being irresponsible, and I am learning that being a grown up is nothing like how a child imagines it. IT STINKS! Anyways, I am flat broke, I had no choice but to steal from that old man's house. I feel bad for stealing, and I was even willing to pay the money I got from that granite rock that looked older than the man. He appreciated the offer, but I couldn't give him the sentimental value he had of that rock. Unfortunately, I was still broke after the attorney fees and the items I need for my two year old and my two month old baby. What am I suppose to do?
Are people going to reconsider their thoughts of thieves, robbers, and well, criminals? Fat chance! That's okay, we live two different worlds from the people who feel the need to judge the thief, robber by their action and not person.
From here, the earth is beautiful and peaceful. A blue and white ball floating in a sea of blackness and starlight. Clouds float, swirl and dissipate, allowing glimpses of the land and sea below. The atmosphere is like a warm blanket, holding in the heat, creating a barrier from the coldness of space. Moving through the dampness of the clouds, the mountains and forests come into view. Lakes and streams appear. A variety shapes, created by the colors of trees, grasses and roadways, become apparent. The landscape has been transformed. The strange two legged animals, that have evolved to take over this world, have created numerous structures, some small, some grand, some severe. They dot the landscape and the sea. There's beauty here, but also a chaos not apparent from above. A cluster of structures, almost a hive, sits perched on the edge of the ocean.
ReplyDeleteDescending into the metal and concrete canyons, the chaos increases. Animals walk, run and fly. The roar of vehicles echoes off grey walls. Up ahead, there's a noble structure with a golden doorway and marble columns, a bright sign declares its purpose. The two legged animals walk in and out, it seems significant, important. This place has meaning. Inside, there is dark wood, polished stone and golden accents. A select group of animals waits inside this building, behind a barrier. When entering, there's an area to write notes, and to form a line to approach the barrier. The animals coming in wait patiently for their chance to approach. When it's their turn, they give the attendant notes, tokens or they just speak words. In return they receive words, notes, or tokens. An interesting exchange.
Soon, an aggressive group, of young males in black masks, enters. They are yelling and waving black sticks. Immediately the visitors fall to the floor in a submissive posture. One of the males, approaches the barrier and hands a satchel through to the waiting attendant. The satchel is filled with the green paper pulp tokens from each station, and is handed back to the black masked male.
The males whoop and shake their black sticks, which erupt. They run outside and into a waiting vehicle. Soon, blue and red flashing vehicles stop them. Black sticks erupt on both sides and animals fall in blood and death. All this, for paper pulp tokens. Perhaps they all need a different perspective.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAs John handed the teller the note, he couldn't help but think what got him in this situation in the first place. He had a gambling problem. He borrowed money from the Mob. John was not know for making good decisions. His wife made him aware of that everyday.
ReplyDeleteSo here he is robbing a bank because he now worked for the Mob to pay off his debt. John had not noticed that while he was distracted the teller had tripped the silent alarm. He turned towards the front of the bank and noticed the police arriving outside. He pulled out his gun and readied himself. There was no way that he was going to go to jail.
The door burst open, and a women says "Timmy, dinner is ready. Come down and eat." Timmy had turned to look at his bedroom door to see who it was. When he looked back at his TV, the words "Mission Failed" were showing.
And a new addition from Abel (I guess technically this was supposed to be our first OK contribution):
ReplyDeleteMr. Beal’s Private Pleasures
Now Mr. Beal is an elderly gentleman and has been retired for a number of years. Being retired Mr. Beal is living on a fixed income and has become a somewhat frugal person, not so much by nature but more so by necessity. I say somewhat frugal, because at times he can be penny wise and pound foolish. Like so many of us, Mr. Beal enjoys a good bargain: as his closet can attest to, with cloths still containing their sales tags proclaiming what a good buy they were.
On this day Mr. Beal went to his sock drawer and pulled out a pair of socks that has those little nubbies on the bottom; you know the kind you get from a stay at the hospital. He grabbed his favorite house coat, the one with Oklahoma Surgical Hospital sewn on its chest. He went to the kitchen, and after fixing himself a cup of coffee and toasted a bagel (He had discovered bagels some 25 years earlier while on a business trip to Boston and although being a frugal person his bagel had a generous amount of cream cheese ) he sat down at the kitchen table .
After breakfast Mr. Beal decided he needed to run a few errands. As he was leaving his neighborhood, he passed a Kum and Go convenience store and noticed that gas was selling at $3.15 a gallon. "Damn," he thought, "I paid $3.17 yesterday and if I had waited until today I would have saved $.02 a gallon and for the 10 gallons I bought I would have saved $.20."
So after completintg his errands he headed for the credit union. In the lobby he stopped to fill out a withdrawal slip. He turned and looked around, high and low, so that if someone would have been watching him they might have thought he was looking for a surveillance camera. He handed the teller his withdrawal slip. After completing his transaction he hurried home.
Upon arriving he headed to his computer to search for bargains. He removed two pens from his jacket and placed them on the desktop. He used one of the pens to make notes and turned off his computer. Opening the desk drawer, he placed the two pens (the pens were clearly marked “Tulsa Federal Employees Credit Union”) inside. He smiled and thought “Cheap is good but Free is better”.
The End